Did you know that your skin ages from the age of 25? The first thing you see are often fine lines (smile lines or crow's feet) in the skin around your eyes. Your eyes also draw faster due to dark circles or bags under the eyes. The skin around your eyes is more sensitive, thinner and drier than your other facial skin. As a result of which negative external influences have an impact more quickly. What can you do to keep this skin in good condition for as long as possible? And is a separate eye cream necessary or nonsense? More about this in this blog.
How do you keep your eye skin in good condition?
Because the skin around your eyes is thinner (dark circles visible more quickly), drier (the skin does not contain sebaceous glands like the rest of your facial skin) and more sensitive, it is important to take good care of it. Get enough sleep, drink enough water/herbal teas and eat essential fats. Not too much alcohol, caffeine, refined sugars. And knowing how to 'act' stress well already works wonders. Good skin care does the rest. If you use products that are less suitable for your eyes, you will ensure that skin aging occurs faster. But what is suitable now?
Without synthetic preservatives such as parabens or benzoic acid or perfume substances. No scrubs/exfoliators. Work fabrics are fine, often a must to prevent skin aging!, but not in too high concentrations. Then they can irritate and thus promote skin aging. Also avoid products containing paraffinum liquidum or petrolatum. Cheap ingredients from the oil industry, which ensure that a cream is spreadable and feels soft. That may feel nice, but petrolatum or parrafinum liquidum put a layer on the skin, hindering its natural protective function. And the skin under the layer is getting drier. And can hide. For example, you can get barley grains around the eyes.
Check your eye makeup remover
Don't forget to check which ingredients are in your eye make-up remover! If you use waterproof products, use a gentle oil-based remover to remove them or a pure gentle oil like almond or jojoba. Many waterproof make-up removers often contain less pleasant ingredients for your eyes.
Protective - skin enhancing ingredients
To bring the delicate skin into a better condition where necessary and to protect it against external influences. Such as inclement weather in autumn or winter months. Dry air from the air conditioner or heater. Temperature changes when you go from inside to outside or vice versa. Air pollution. And don't forget UV radiation.
For example, cold-pressed jojoba oil is such a protective ingredient (a good alternative to parrafinum liquidum or petrolatum). This oil contains a high level of protective vitamin E, a UV factor of around 5 and has a composition that is almost identical to the composition of your skin. Which can help build and maintain your skin's protective layer.
Other protective oils or fats suitable for eye care products include squalene, borage oil, sea buckthorn oil or shea butter.
From the inside you can replenish your skin fats / improve or maintain your skin barrier by regularly eating oily fish, using cold-pressed olive oil or taking omega 3 supplements
That counteract fine lines, crow's feet, dark circles or puffiness. And protect against the negative impact of UV radiation.
- Vitamin E and C protect against fine lines. It may sound strange at first, but in the summer months your skin needs extra vitamin C, because it is used to protect your skin against the negative influences of UV radiation. It is not for nothing that summer forest fruits are packed with vitamin C. Vitamin E itself has a sun protection factor (around 5-6) and is a strong anti-oxidant. Aloe Vera contains a high content of both vitamins, has a soothing effect on your eyes and is anti-inflammatory. A component of both Abloom and Shankara eye creams. Another oil rich in vitamin E, essential fatty acids and antioxidants is rosehip oil.
- Niacinamide (vitamin B3) is a mild but active active ingredient that helps against wrinkle formation, visibly reduces fine lines and improves skin structure. Dr Baumann has recently introduced Niancin ampoules in the Classic line. In people with darker skin tones, hyperpigmentation can be the cause of under-eye circles. Niacinamide also counteracts and softens hyperpigmentation.
- Vitamin A acid (retinol, retinal, retinoic acid) helps against fine lines (crow's feet) and collagen breakdown (less collagen means deeper wrinkles). Be careful with the concentration of pure vitamin A, a high concentration of vitamin A causes irritation. Many natural products contain provitamin A (for example beta-carotenes). The advantage of this over synthetic vitamin A is that the skin only produces the amount of vitamin A it needs from provitamina A.
- Glucosamine . Component of skin's own hyaluronic acid. Improves moisture absorption and softness of the skin and reduces wrinkles. Just like niancinamide, it counteracts hyperpigmentation. In the Dr Baumann Classic and SkinIdent line as an ampoule. Although 100% skin-specific, check with SkinIdent whether the concentration of active ingredient is not too high.
Allantoin. Helps heal the skin and create new tissue. Soothes and protects.
Because the skin around your eyes is thinner, it loses moisture more easily. Protective oils or fats such as jojoba oil, sqealene and shea butter can improve the protective layer of your eye skin, so that it retains moisture better. Hyaluronic Acid, Urea. Sodium Lactate, Panthenol are all three important for proper moisture management of the skin. The latter also has a skin-repairing effect. A nice product with all these ingredients is the Dr Baumann Humidity ampoule . Specially made to improve the skin around the eyes.
Firming & moisture wicking ingredients
From the age of 50, your skin becomes weaker - due to a reduction in the condition of your connective tissue - including those around your eyes. This can cause moisture and fat deposits that give 'pockets' under your eyes. It is difficult to strengthen your connective tissue from the outside with cosmetic products. But from the inside through, for example, SkinBase from LaVieSage.
Gua sha and roller for moisture drainage & against dark circles
Lymphatic drainage with, for example , jade or rosequartz gua sha or roller can also help to drain moisture and thus reduce puffiness. The gua sha or roller also helps to constrict blood vessels, which reduces dark circles. The rollers and gua sha were used by Chinese empresses as far back as the 7th century to stay young!
A separate eye care product nonsense?
This depends on the ingredients in the product. It is important for your eyes that a product is mild. A facial care product can contain a higher concentration of active ingredients than an eye care product, because the facial skin is less delicate and sensitive than the skin around the eyes.
Fine lines appear faster around your eyes, dark circles under your eyes faster. A good eye care product has its ingredients tailored to prevent or improve both.
Favorite eye care products at INDISHA
The eye care of Dr. Baumann, Dr. Alkaitis, Abloom, Shankara and Dr. Hauschka do contain other ingredients than the facial creams of these brands.
- Dr Baumann's hypoallergenic eye products contain fewer ingredients than the facial creams. Only those ingredients that are relevant to keep the skin around the eyes fit and cared for.
- Our favorite combination: First apply the Dr Baumann SkinIdent Eyegel (7 ml tube) that tightens and refreshes. And about that the Dr Baumann SkinIdent EyeCream (7 ml tube) for extra protection and care.
- Abloom's eye cream has soothing Aloe Vera as a base and also special herbs and algae complexes for the eyes and vitamins A, E, C. This eye cream has an airy texture that feels nice and absorbs quickly.
- The Shankara eye cream contains, among other things, Eye Bright extract to combat dark circles. In addition to Vitamin A, C and E and anti-oxidant rich ingredients such as Mate Yerbe, green tea and Ashwaganda.
- Do you spend a lot of time behind the computer or other screen, have you had to pay attention to the road all day or are your eyes tired or irritated for another reason, then eyebright, fennel, black tea extract, clover and rose in the dr Hauschka eye compresses will help you eyes relax.