Nothing is more irritating than (youth) pimples. There is little you can do about hereditary predisposition and hormonal disruption. But did you know that the wrong skin care, stress, certain foods, not chewing properly and smoking can aggravate acne? You can influence that yourself.
Read more about these factors below, tips from the beautician to take good care of your skin. And three care regimens from pure, sustainable, animal-free brands: Dr Hauschka, Abloom Skincare and Dr Baumann.
How does acne arise?
During puberty, your hormone balance changes. The sebaceous glands in the face, back and chest enlarge and produce more sebum. This can clog your pores. If bacteria in the clogged pore feed on sebum, irritation and inflammation can occur; a pimple.
At the same time, your resistance (your immune system) often drops due to stress (school), too little sleep and/or less healthy food. So that bacteria can more easily take hold of your skin.
Stress produces the stress hormone cortisol. This reduces the skin's resistance to protect itself against bacteria. And recover. Your testosterone level also increases due to stress. This can cause increased sebum production.
- Avoid cow's milk products. The connection between the use of (cow's) milk products and acne has been scientifically proven. It contains the hormone IGF1, which stimulates sebum production.
- (Refined) sugars and other products that quickly increase your blood sugar (including many fast food products, white flour) also cause you to suffer more from acne. They stimulate insulin production, which stimulates sebum production
- Make sure you get enough antioxidants from fruits and vegetables. They increase the resistance of your skin and ensure that inflammations recover faster. In any case, use extra vitamin D in the autumn and winter months. And drink enough water to relieve your kidneys.
Chewing well ensures that food arrives at your intestines completely fine. Large chunks can be difficult for your intestines to process. Which can cause waste products in the body. Which trigger acne. You should chew each bite 20-30 times. Not everyone gets that. But every time extra chewing is included.
Smoking increases sebum production and reduces the amount of anti-inflammatory vitamin E and resistance-enhancing vitamin C in your body. Research shows that the more you smoke, the more likely you are to develop acne.
Wrong skin care
Less fine cleaners dry out your skin, causing it to produce more sebum. And the chance of pimples increases. Many foaming agents in cleansers affect your skin barrier, allowing bacteria to penetrate faster (and cause inflammation). Facial cleansers often contain hormone-disrupting ingredients such as SLS, which does not make your body happy either. Your hormone balance has been disrupted enough during your puberty.
Avoid foundations and creams with paraffinum liquidum, which lays a layer on your skin, causing clogged pores more quickly.
Skin care tips beautician
- Clean your skin once a day (evening) with a mild cleanser. Not morning and evening. Your skin should remain a little 'dirty'. She needs the good bacteria in your skin oil to counteract the 'bad' ones that cause acne.
- Cleanse gently and apply creams or oils gently. To stimulate the skin as little as possible to produce (even more) sebum.
- Very difficult, but don't squeeze yourself. The clogged pores can be quite deep. The pressure and squeezing can cause skin damage that becomes scars. Or hyperpigmentation. You also have a good chance that bacteria in the pimple will spread over your face when you squeeze it, causing even more pimples. You don't want that, do you?
- Change your pillowcase every two days. To prevent the spread of bacteria.
Pure, natural skin care
If you opt for pure, natural skin care, you avoid ingredients that your skin likes less, such as paraffinum liquidum, aggressive foaming agents, synthetic preservatives, endocrine disruptors or skin irritants.
The following 'regimes' with Dr Hauchka, Abloom Skincare and Dr Baumann, respectively, are recommended by the beauticians with whom we work.
Taking care of acne skin with dr Hauschka
Dr Hauschka is a pioneer of natural cosmetics. And uses only natural, organic and biodynamic ingredients. Preservation of products is done through a special time-intensive process. Apart from beeswax, no animal ingredients are used.
- Cleanse your skin morning and evening with the Cleansing Cream. If you want to clean once, then only in the evening.
- Spray the Facial Lotion Special on your face. Morning and evening. This balances sebum production and softens your skin.
- During the day, use Melisse Creme for mixed sensitive skin or Liquid Day Cream Balancing for mixed skin. If you have very oily skin, use the Facial Oil. This balances sebum production.
- Apply the Cleansing Mask 1-2x a week. This one is based on clay. This deeply cleanses your skin and nourishes it with minerals at the same time.
- If necessary, steam your face with the facial vapor bath before the mask.
Acne regimen from Abloom Skincare
Abloom Skincare is a vegan skincare line. With only the best natural and organically certified vegetable ingredients. With a high concentration of active ingredients for your skin. Ingredient blends are given three months to 'mature' into high-quality skin care products. Where the different ingredients work together optimally.
- Cleanse your skin once a day with the Purifying Cleanser.
- Apply Soothing Lotion. Morning and evening. This one is antibacterial and softens your skin. Base is organic aloe vera gel.
- Use the Miracle Oil in the evening. For sensitive skin every other day. Oil for oily skin? Yes! Because 'oil cuts oil'. The oil indicates to your skin 'there is already fat, you don't have to make more'
- 2x a week Enzyme Peeling. Against clogged pores. Dilute this with cold-rolled honey. Honey is anti bacterial.
- Use the Green Detox Mask once a week. This strengthens the skin.
Dr Baumann skin care for acne
Do you have very sensitive skin. Or do you not want fragrances in your skin care products. Then the hypoallergenic Dr Baumann and Dr Baumann Beaucaire line is fine. Both are vegan.
- Cleanse your skin with the Beaucare Face Cleanser + Tonic Lotion. 1 x per day (evening). If you can't get used to this, then morning and evening.
- Use the Beaucaire Liposome Tea Tree twice a day. Tea Tree has a strong antibacterial effect.
- Apply some dr Baumann Sensitive Super Light to dry spots during the day.
- Use the Peeling Medium once a week. Against clogged pores.
- Use Dr. Baumann Classic's Aloe Vera Mask or Cream Mask Oily Skin once a week. The Aloe Vera Mask soothes and regulates sebum production. The Cream Mask deeply cleanses and softens.
- If necessary, use the Anti-Comedo 4.8 lotion for blackheads and very oily impure skin. 1-2x per week.
- Optional is the Zinc cream. This dries out pimples.
Do you have questions? Let them know via Chat or email.
NB: send a chat message or an email for the Dr Baumann password that is requested. dr Baumann products are only shown after a login. In connection with professional advice in advance.